A Late Leap into 21st Century


Everyhing I Don't Need (Clay Aiken) montage by Gerwhisp

Adventures, Missteps Abound

A Late Leap into 21st Century

After diving into the Twitter social networking medium last weekend, I took another leap into the 21st century Tuesday with the installation of DIRECTV's seemingly limitless channels and my first ever DVR receiver.

Admittedly late to the party and college degree aside, I have discovered there is a learning curve for both. My fledgling missteps even have a theme song: Clay Aiken's "Everything I Don't Need." Featured in Gerwhisp's montage above, the EIDN video includes the singer's Sessions performance and can also be viewed on YouTube.

Since there's no right or wrong way to Twitter, I'm pretty safe there. However, every now and then I try to send a message and notice the board is way smarter than I. Has anyone else hit ENTER a second time only to read "What are doing? Tweet already sent!" or "Recipient not following you." Oops!!!

Scroll to the previous entry, "Twitter Mania Takes Over My Life," for a host of helpful links about twittering.

Somewhat appeasing is the knowledge that I'm not alone. This is a PM from another new "twitterer" I met on a Clay Aiken message board:

Just need to update you on my mental state. I have been too busy to concentrate for long -- that's my excuse! -- so yesterday I decided to give up for now. But THEN this morning in the Toronto Star, a columnist wrote about her learning agony on Twitter.

She told step by step how to "Tweet," so I tried again. Now I know how to post, but I never know where it's going to show up. Its hilarious; all of a sudden I find a post of mine where I didn't know anything existed.

I commented in the Star column and explained that because of her I'm trying again, but am doubtful. She replied, "If I can Tweet, anyone can Tweet!" Even thought I am having a mental and emotional meltdown, I'm having fun. Thanks for getting me started on my downfall. Just as I figured out Facebook ... now this. Oy!

So we're all in this together, LOL! If you get a chance, send @maddie99 a tweet. Also, here is the link for the columnist who convinced my friend to try again. Read Twitpics, retworts, hash tags and twicks by Antonia Zerbisias. You can also tweet @AntoniaZ at Twitter, or visit her at the Star.

I am following lots of interesting people on Twitter, none more helpful than a representative from my new TV supplier. Ten minutes after I tweeted that I was having a time figuring out what was playing on all the new channels at my disposal, @DIRECTV posted this Tweet:

@CarolinaClay we have an online guide at directv.com/guide. If you are registered, you can also set DVR recordings at home from this guide.

That's what I call service!

Now, my friend Sally, who ever so slightly twisted my arm to upgrade to the trial movie channels-DVR package, literally programs her daily recording schedule while exercising on the treadmill.

I'm definitely not that adept. This morning, sitting on a sofa, I double-booked and overlapped movies while missing a live report about President Obama's visit with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper. I knew MSNBC's @David Shuster would replay major segments on MSNBC's 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and he did.

Meanwhile, I am streaming "Everything I Don't Need," my new theme song, as well as the title track and "Ashes" from Clay Aiken's On My Way Here CD, at his MySpace. The sound is fantastic, so give these songs a whirl.

No doubt many more 21st century-related adventures await me. A day early, but have a wonderful weekend, all!

Caro

TECHNORATI TAGS: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Click to stream CLAY AIKEN's MYSPACE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...